This weekend I had the honour of celebrating my sister and soon to be brother in law. With fifty of their friend invited it was a roaring time! We had a champagne bar, french macarons, gold table clothes, and great people to wine and dine with.
With setting up a large party room, decorating, preparing the food, and everything that comes with hosting a large crowd an hour away from home, baking couldn’t take the main focus. It had to be split up equally. Good thing the bride and groom are loving the new naked cake trend!
I’m sure you’ve heard of new naked cake trend. Not as scandalous as it sounds, but simple and easy to dress up for a party! Exactly the kind of cake this wedding shower needed. The recipe comes from a modified version of this Chocolate Fudge recipe, made mini 6 inch rounds, baked for 24 minutes. Filled with an orange and clementine icing, it’s a refreshing combination to balance out the rich chocolate.
Clementine Buttercream Icing:
Made by: Mint Tea & Honey
- 1 cup softened salted butter*
- 5 cups powedered sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1 tablespoon clementine zest
- 1 – 4 tablespoons half and half cream, as needed
- Cream butter for 5 minutes until pale.
- Add in powdered sugar one cup at a time.
- Pour in orange extract and clementine zest and incorporate well.
- Add in cream as needed to get the consistency you require.
- Spoon buttercream in to piping bag with any large desired piping tip
- Place one layer of the cooled cake on you cake stand, and pipe a spiral starting from the middle outwards, until you get to just the edge of the cake.
- Repeat for the next layer, then place the last cake layer on top.
- Top with fruits, edible flowers, and dust with powdered sugar for a dreamy, rustic cake.
* I usually use salted butter, but if you prefer you can use unsalted butter and add in salt to taste.
I hope your weekend had as many mimosas as mine did!