Although I didn’t mention it in my last post, I have a new and improved logo! Some hours (and cursing… I’m not a web or graphic designer, as much as I try to be) later I have a brand new little logo to sit atop my webpage. Since it was a labour of love (somewhat) I’m a bit proud :).
That calls for a celebratory brownie, yeah?? In my books, yes, yes it does.
You’re probably in the know, but blondies are a vanilla brownie (most often called blondie brownies, but I’m not sure what other treat is really called a “blondie” so I’ve just removed the superfluous “brownie” altogether. Moving on.). Personally, I tend to like them better! Don’t judge me too harshly for that. Sometimes the denseness that makes brownies so good can be a bit much with the chocolate in them. Sometimes.
But today these mint-y beauties check off a few boxes for me. Not only do they have that rich, dense, “only-a-brownie-will-do-to-satisfy-this-craving taste”, they have that kick of sweet refreshing mint and smooth vanilla flavour to them without being cringingly sweet. With little bubble of mini chips (conveniently getting in your daily dose of needed chocolate), they are gooey and the perfect indulging treat. Although most toppings are add-on that are optional, don’t skip out on the chocolate and coconut! It really pairs so well with the blondie flavouring and texture.
Not only taste-wise are thing little gems great, but cost-wise pretty inexpensive to mix together. I always find it’s good to have an egg and butter free recipe on hand that’s quick to whip up if the sweet cravings hit and there’s not much in the fridge. I make a lot of sweets and treats, and I would say most involve butter and eggs. Occasionally it’s nice to take a break from cracking and pouring (our wallets appreciate it too! Butter can be a pretty penny).
(Messy kitchen yields the best results, right?)
Mint Dark Chocolate Blondies
Yield: One 8 inch square pan Made by: Mint Tea & Honey
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup almond milk*
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 vegetable oil
- 1/4 unsweetened applesauce*
- 1 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate mini chips
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8×8 inch square pan and set aside.
- Mix together flour, almond milk, and water. Let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in oil, applesauce, peppermint and vanilla extracts. Mix well on medium speed until completely combined.*
- Stir in 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes, until inserted toothpick comes out clean and cool in pan for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut into pieces and remove from pan.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave the remaining chocolate chips
* You can omit the almond milk and use 1 cup of water and increase vanilla to 1 teaspoons instead. I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
* You can also use 1/2 cup of oil instead of 1/4 cup of applesauce and 1/4 cup of oil.
* You can toast the coconut if you desire, but my personal preference is not too. I prefer the sweetened coconut untoasted for a topping.
*It’s very important to the end result that you mix the batter completely, making sure any large flour/almond milk/water pieces are gone.
I feel like it goes without needing to be said, but I love mint. And like any sane person chocolate and brownies and vanilla. Throw it all together and you’ve got a pretty stellar day. I really hope you enjoy yours! If you do, celebrate with a brownie. If you don’t, fix it with a brownie. Just make sure you have one in your hand always.